About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, August 23, 2019

Week 2

Dear Parents,
        We made it through our first complete week of school. Your children are getting in the habit of our classroom routines. We are building up our work stamina and finding out that learning can be fun when we synergize! In math this week we deconstructed the number 10 by using snap cubes. We also continued our practice of our classroom routines like number talks, guess my number, and marvelous magical number. We introduced the 100’s chart and discussed that depending on which way you go on the chart, your number may be one more, one less, ten more, or ten less. We continue to tell time to the hour recognizing which hand is the hour hand, which is the minute hand. On Friday we used a long strip of paper to write the numbers to count as high as we could count. Some ran out of time!
      In reading we have been focusing on the topic, central idea, and the details of many wonderful stories and one short video. The children are quickly learning the difference between these three things. On Friday we read about friendship by reading The Sandwich Swap. Then we wrote about a new friend we met this year.
       In language we have been writing in our writing notebooks, learning what we do when we think we are done, conferring with the teacher and sharing a few of our writings. We completed a project called “ I like Me” and had to write six complete sentences that told me more about ourselves. We have been working with words by listening to the beginning, middle and ending sounds. We know that a word with a CVC pattern has a short vowel sound and a word with a CVCV pattern has a long vowel sound.
        In Science we have been leaning about science skills such as observing, asking questions, predicting, planning and investigating. We are also learning about science tools. On Friday we planned an investigation and used our senses to record our observations!

*Here is an informative video of how we now check into our school through the front office:     
 checking into the school

*Reading logs were due today. If your child brought back the completed log for the week, I put a star by the week and he/she received 2 stickers for his/her rewards chart. If your child did not turn in the log today, please make sure that it is complete and ready to turn in on Monday. A few students had 3 out of the 4 days filled in, but all 4 need to be filled in to turn in on Fridays. Please help me teach your children that this is a homework responsibility.  As always I am appreciative of your help! 😊

*If you were unable to come to parent orientation, I sent the packet home in your child’s Coyote Folder today. There are three forms that need to be completed and turned in to me by next Friday: A parent contact form, Tell me about Your Child form, and the parent volunteer sign up form.


No comments:

Post a Comment