About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, September 18, 2020

 Dear Parents,

        We continued working on counting money, using greater than, less than and equal to signs to compare groups of coins, and finding the right amount to add to a group of coins to get to a dollar. These are really hard concepts. Please continue to practice at home. I sent three of the homework pages from this unit for practice, but so far I only have two students who turned them in. This is a chance for your child to earn more stickers to fill up their treasure box chart.

       We began guided reading this week. Books get sent home for your child to practice with you. These books can also be used to fill up the reading log. Reading logs are filled out Mon. -Thurs. Please make sure that they are ready to be turned in each Friday. These too, earn stickers for our charts as the children learn the responsibility of following through each week. The books will be collected on Fridays and quarantined for 4 days before getting returned to our leveled library. Please make sure your child brings back their book each day as we read the books several times to focus on vocabulary, details, retelling, fluency and many more skills. In Social Studies we have been focusing on the Constitution, our flag, and the Bill of Rights. 

         Writing’s focus this week was the writing process. We wrote our beginning of year writing sample, then took in through the writing process. I can’t wait to see the growth as your children learn the power of words and expressing their ideas!

           In science we continued classifying matter by physical properties. We watched a movie about solids, liquids and gases, participated in a talk, read, talk write activity, and drew diagrams in our science notebooks explaining the differences in these three states of matter. We used our senses and science tools  to describe a gummy snake. We are starting to get our work stamina back. I am proud of the effort your children are putting forth. 

            We were visited by the traveling Library cart and our new librarian, Mrs. Hernandez this week. We also had a visit from Mrs. Moore, our counselor,  who read us a book about kindness. All in all, it was a full week of learning!

 

* Please make sure your child brings a water bottle and a snack each day. I bought snacks to give out, but at level orange, I am not allowed to pass them out for safety reasons. Our fountains are turned off, so the only drink your child can get is if he/she brings a water bottle to be refilled at the filling stations.

 

*If you have not already, please turn in your Leadership Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment