About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Week 2

 Dear Parents,

      WOW! What a wonderful first three days we had together. I feel that your children are settling in, realizing how to take care of their needs and be good listeners. We have such kind friends in our classroom- I can tell that it is going to be a fabulous year of learning! 

       I will send a weekly e-mail, on Fridays.  You will find attached every week the digital copy of our Second Grade Newsletter. This same letter will be in your child’s Friday folder which will go home on Fridays with graded papers, the newsletter and any flyers sent to me from the office. Please take all papers out and return this folder on Mondays in your child’s backpack. I hope you saw your child’s Blue Coyote Folder which goes home daily. Homework papers, and anything that must be sent home immediately will be sent home in this folder. We usually send homework home twice a week. This folder goes home and back to school every day. This is also how you can track your child’s behavior. A sticker on the calendar means it was a great day. If I write on the folder (the key to know what the letters and numbers mean is at the top of that page) I will let you know what we will be working on to have a better day. 

         On Monday we will be sending home a Reading Log which your child fills out nightly, Monday through Thursday. On Fridays your child is to bring the filled out log back to school. Reading at home is very important. Your child  needs to read for 15 minutes, but if he/she does this nightly, his/her reading will improve by leaps and bounds. I will be sending home leveled books in a zippered case, which I have read with them in reading group. We will not have read these first books sent home together as we have not started reading groups yet. We are still learning about our stations. Please keep these books in his/her backpack in the zippered  case unless they are being read. We may need a book for a second reading group that week. I let your child keep three books at a time. Reading familiar books helps with his/her sight word recognition and fluency. For early readers it really helps if a parent can spend that 15 minutes with their child and help with decoding words and asking questions to make sure he/she understands what is being read. I put a parent page on the back of the paper in the zippered book case. If you would like to meet with me, so I can show you how to best support your child, just let me know. I appreciate you partnering with me to help support your child’s reading growth.

          

 Please send a snack and water bottle every day. I have purchased a bucket of Goldfish and Cheez- Its, but more than half the bucket is already gone. If you would like to donate snacks for the class, these two are best because we have children with food allergies in my room. I am so thankful that you are so generous with helping me provide items from my wish list Three items have showed up at my door, but only the toothpicks had a way for me to thank them. If you purchased the Lysol wipes or the smelly stickers, know that they are greatly appreciated! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment