About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, September 29, 2023

Week 8

 Dear Parents,

        I apologize that you were not receiving my weekly e-mail. I send it EVERY week. If you do not receive it by Saturday afternoon, please e-mail me to let me know. Apparently group distribution lists can be corrupted at any time , then don’t send. The only fix is to create a new list which I have done. Hopefully all will go smoothly from here on.

        In math this week we switched from two digit regrouping in addition to subtraction. The class is doing very well. This is one of the harder skills we learn in second grade. I am so proud of their efforts and lots of sparkly stars have been earned.

        In writing we are focusing on a group narrative. We are using the skills we have learned as a class to write even better narratives by using various transition words, adding feelings, adding details, and editing for correct spelling and punctuation. We also learned about abbreviations, common nouns and proper nouns.

        In reading we looked at two mentor stories, read them together and discussed the central idea of one and the author’s purpose of the other. We made a class book following the pattern of The Important Book. Their pages are precious, so I will make a copy to put in their memory pocket.

         In social studies we listened to a Brainpop Jr. about Johnny Appleseed. We tasted apple juice, freeze dried apples and Apple Jacks Cereal! WE used our ap skills to follow directions and work on the United States map. They were surprised that two of our states are not touching the other 48 states!

 

*The Leader in Me Monthly family letters begin this week! BE A LIGHTHOUSE FAMILY by completing the family activity and returning it each month. The students are awarded a special certificate at the end of the year.

 

*There will be no sight words or spelling words this week.

 

*See the attached Watch Dogs Flyer- We LOVE having visits in our classroom from our dads!

No comments:

Post a Comment