About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, January 5, 2024

Week 19A

 Dear Parents,

           This was a very quick week, but it was so good to see your children again and I feel that they were happy to be back at school. In math this week we worked on writing numbers up to 1,200 in word form, standard form and expanded form. We decomposed them in model to show two different ways to make a number with place value blocks. We compared numbers and said if they were greater than, less than or equal to each other. We also ordered numbers from least to greatest and greatest to least.

           In writing we read Squirrel’s New Years Resolution and wrote our own resolutions. We had so much fun thinking of ways we could improve or help others. We then made a likeness to ourselves and wrote our resolutions on party hats. We even have blowers! I hope your children enjoyed their ring pop treat to RING in the New Year!

           In reading we read a Scholastic news called An Icy Tradition and took a comprehension check on it. I am still working with some children at not guessing at answers, but finding it in the text and underlining it. We look for key words in the questions and then look back to the text. We also read the story The Mitten and did an activity using the warmth of our hand, observing and recording what happened.

           In science we went on a scavenger hunt to look for 5 manmade resources and 5 natural resources. Then we used Pic Collage to make a collage of each on our ipads.

  • Please read the second grade Newsletter about our new math log homework and Flashcards. These will go home Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment