About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, April 5, 2024

Week 30

 Dear Parents,

         This week in math we have focused on plane shapes. We learned the names of all the polygons from triangles ( three sides, three vertices) to dodecagons (twelve sides, twelve vertices). A polygon is a closed two-D shape made up of an equal number of sides and vertices. It was really difficult to count the sides of a dodecagon, but we did it. Next we will learn how to draw these shapes.

          In writing , we finished up our class project on how to draw a crab and began our individual procedural papers. These will continue into next week. I can’t wait to read all the things my class knows how to do!

          In reading/social studies, we read two different versions of Jack and the Beanstalk. We compared them and took a comprehension check. We read and discussed informational pages on Making Good Choices together as a class. The students added the flip page to their journal to explain what earning, saving, and spending mean. On Friday we read the Scholastic News Article, “Something Big is Coming”. We are all excited about the solar eclipse!

        In Science our butterfly larvae arrived just in time for our new unit, Life Cycles of insects. We will be learning about the different stages in the life cycle of both a butterfly and a grasshopper. We will be watching as our butterfly larvae turn into a pupa and then an adult. This is such an exciting unit for our second graders!

No comments:

Post a Comment