About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 25 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Morning Meeting 7:45-8:00 8:00-9:30 Math Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Guided Reading 9:40-10:35 Fine Arts 10:35-11:25 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, August 23, 2024

Week 2

 Dear Parents,

            This week in math we focused on the place values of tens and ones. We used coins and place value blocks to build numbers. We then learned to draw the pictures of coins and place value blocks to represent two digit numbers. We had our first graded quiz over this skill. We then used what we learned to solve word problems drawing coins or place value blocks. On Friday we learned how to fill in our number grid. We will do one of these forms every Friday.  This form helps the children represent numbers in standard form, word form, expanded form and model it with blocks. The place values of the numbers we put on it will increase as the year progresses. In second grade, we do numbers up to 1,200.

             In reading we began learning how to be independent during guided reading groups. Right now we have not begun groups as I am conducting individualized testing. Your child may go to the classroom library to bring books home until we begin reading groups and they have on level books. The entire class took their reading and math istation tests. We continued reading and learning about good citizenship as we read Good Citizens from our reading book. We read Our Class is a Family and created a book about our class family.

             In writing we learned the steps of the writing process. We brainstormed ideas, read books to get ideas, and wrote topics that were close to our heart. I introduced our spelling dictionaries that will be used to help with our writing. We are learning to think it, picture it and put it on paper!

             In science we learned what scientists do and who they are. Ask about our fun rotation from class to class learning about a geologist, a zoologist, and an ichthyologist. We finished writing about what scientist we may grow up to be. We also learned about our science safety rules. A paper went home about those rule. Please read this over with your child, both of you sign it and return it to school by Monday. If I haven’t received your child’s back, I will put another form in his/her blue folder. On Friday we took our science safety quiz.

               We had our 2nd grade parent orientation last night. It was great seeing so many of you there. If you were unable to come, you can find a copy of a packet of information about 2nd grade in your child’s Coyote Folder. You may also use the link Below to watch the presentation:

 

2nd Grade Parent Orientation

 

I hope you all have a restful weekend with you families! Remember, no question is too small. If I can help you in any way, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment