About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Week 15

Dear Parents,
           We began three digit subtraction with regrouping. The class did well overall switching back to subtraction after doing two weeks of addition. It has helped that they are learning their subtraction facts and recording it in their math logs. Thank you for all your help at home. I am seeing a big difference in the time it takes for them to figure out the problems.
           In language we wrote a winter acrostic and used the computer to type it out, using various fonts of different sizes and inserting, as well as sizing, the picture to wrap around the text. We also wrote a poem about saying goodbye to Fall and hello to Winter. We learned that creativity is a leadership skill! We also had fun turning a scribbled line into a picture, then writing about it.
           In reading we compared two Gingerbread Man Stories. We looked at their story structures to see how they were alike and different. We began reading holiday books as a book a day for five days. This will finish up next week.
          In Science we had several discovery lessons where children could observe objects to see if they spin, roll, or slide. We sorted objects according to their movement. We finished up the unit with an assessment on Thursday. Next up: Rocks! We began the unit by sorting the rocks we brought in on Friday.
           In Social studies we continued with our Leader in me activities by using our creativity to make a picture out of a squiggle line. We also gave affirmations to our classmates. We all feel good when we celebrate the gifts those around us have! We are thinking Win-Win! Our new Leader of the Week is Julian!

No comments:

Post a Comment