About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, March 24, 2023

Week 29

Dear Parents,

     This week in math our focus was on fractions. We are learning about halves, fourths, and eighths. We learned that there must be equal parts of a whole to have a fraction of a shape. We learned how to divide shapes into halves, fourths, and eighths. We talked about one part of a shape, then more parts of the shape and how to write those fractions. We learned what a fraction looks like if it is equal to the whole shape. We used  an app on our ipads to make shapes and divide them into equal parts, then show the fraction for our shaded part. We then took pictures of our fractions and made a pic collage showing them.

     In writing we finished up our Helen Keller nonfiction papers and began a combined research unit about technology now and then. It is fun learning about how we did things in the past and compare them to how we do them now.

      In reading we read a book about the First day of Spring and wrote a poem about saying goodbye to Winter things and welcoming Spring things.

      In Science we began our unit on the physical characteristics of plants. We planted some seeds, observed the parts of plants, and  discussed their basic needs. We did a Talk, Read, Talk, Write activity where we learned more about the basic needs of plants. We began an experiment of putting celery in colored water and made predictions about how we think that will affect the celery.

 

  • A conference sign up Genius will be sent home on Monday. Spring Conferences are student led. Your child needs to attend the conference with you. Students will be discussing their leadership binder. They will discuss their  achievements and their goals this year. If you choose NOT to have a conference, please let me know as well, and I will send home a form for you to sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment