About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Week 14

Dear Parents, 
         It was so nice for all of us to get back to learning after the Thanksgiving Break! The children have been busy making a special holiday gifts for their parents.  We have taken our test on ordering and comparing numbers in math. We are finishing up our unit on nouns and will be learning about holidays that are celebrated this month. 
        Our reading stories are getting progressively harder. The students will be soon moving into our Reading Book #2. Several children had trouble with this last comprehension test as they were expected to infer the best answer. This was the last story in Book #1. If your child had trouble with the Helen Keller comprehension test and you are wondering how to help him/her with inferring, I have a few suggestions. We read the story several times at school. The book goes home on Mondays and Wednesdays for the children to read at home for their reading log. Have your child read to you, then ask them questions about what they read. Check for understanding and ask questions that they have to think about what they have just read. 
      We have been experimenting with magnets and learning what types of things are magnetic and how magnets help us in our every day lives. We were amazed to see how a magnet helps a simple motor run!
      

*You’ll find our weekly Newsletter attached, as well as a flyer for Kids Stage which has a class open for registration in December. 

*Sumdog (another option to fasttmath is set up on our Blog) This website allows your children to get on line with their classmates and play with each other. They will be learning how to log on and play this week.

*I will be serving hot chocolate and cookies at Polar Express night and hope to see you there!


* Continue to encourage your child to fill in his/her own reading and math log. Second graders can do this on their own. Parents are just to initial nightly. I remind my class that their parents already passed second grade! :) Please help them work on this independently. This helps them learn to be responsible. You will be amazed at how proud they will be of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment