About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, December 12, 2014

Week 15

Dear Parents,
            Another great week of learning in second grade! I think their most memorable event was our field trip to see Flat Stanley put on stage. Reading the story as a class, thinking about the characters, making character maps, and finally making a Flat Stanley to be mailed away to experience a new place  has been so much fun! Don’t forget to look for pictures on our classroom blog.
            In guided reading we continued reading our individual group books, but also got to experience stations for the blind and deaf. We learned about braille, sign language, and discovered smells and objects without using our eyes to see if we could identify them! More pictures are posted on our classroom blog!
            In Math we have been adding two digit numbers using mental math and a hundreds chart. I have been impressed with how quickly the children have learned these skills. Earlier in the week I sent home a picture of the fasttmath facts learned by your child. All the blocks with answers 0-9 should be filled in. I cannot move your child to subtraction facts until the entire board is colored dark to show all fasttfacts learned. Please make sure that your child does fasttmath at least two times a week as part of his/her math log. I appreciate your help with this!

             We have wrapped up our lesson in science on magnets. I was also impressed with how well my class did on the assessment. We have one more week of learning before holiday break  … not that the children are counting down! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment