About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Week 6

Dear Parents,
         This week seemed to fly by as I had conferences with about half of you. Thank you so much for meeting with me, as I love talking with you about your children and how you can partner with me to help your child succeed in second grade and learn the skills to be ready for third grade.
          In math we took our unit one assessment and began a unit on subtraction from numbers to twenty. Homework pages may be going home once or twice a week. These can be used as the math log practice. On Wednesday a new packet of flash cards is going home in your child’s log. It has all the facts thus covered. We will continue to have our weekly quizes over these facts to try to increase your child’s automaticity in remembering these facts. These are not counted in their grade, but will help them as our units progress to more challenging skills.
         In language we wrote a spider cinquain poem as well as took a single sentence through the writing process. The children enjoyed going on thesaurus.com to find the just right word for that sentence. They relearning that they can take charge and do their own revising and editing to make their writing better.
          In reading we read Diary of a Spider, had a comprehension check where we learned to go back to the text to find evidence that supported our answers. We compared spiders and insects on a double bubble map. We always enjoy working and reading with a partner.
           In science we finished up our unit on the physical properties of matter. We took our assessment and wrote about objects and their properties. We went on a matter hunt with a partner as we searched for objects with certain properties. We learned how to classify objects by their properties.
            In social studies we continued working on goals and narrowing them down as we worked on a goal targeting project. I chose a new leader of the week. Congratulations to Faith Lee!

No comments:

Post a Comment