About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, October 20, 2017

Week 8

Dear Parents,
               Math was a bit challenging this week as your second graders went from adding with regrouping using manipulatives (which is hands on) to  the paper and pencil method (which is abstract). It took some time, but I feel we’ve got it! We will continue practicing this skill next week.
               In language we focused on two types of sentences: statements and questions. We looked for these sentences in our own writing as well as in our reading book. We had fun learning the sentence song as well as our punctuation song.
                In reading we read Officer Buckle and Gloria , took a comprehension quiz and discussed community workers and how they help our community. We learned about three types of communities and chose our favorite one. We have  been challenged to design our very own community and will work with a group to use recyclables to build it. Thank you for already sending in  recycled items so that we can do this fun learning experience.
               In science we learned more about changing matter by adding or removing heat. We watched Brain pop Jr., some Stemscope videos as well as practiced using our vocabulary and writing about what we learned.
                My new leader of the week is Sharina. She has been a leader to her classmates. One of my favorite comments that was said about her was “ she spreads good feelings”. Look on our blog to see her and the poster she decorated all about her. We talked more about putting first things first as well as how to be organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment