About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, October 13, 2017

Week 7

Dear Parents,
            This was a short week, but packed full of great learning opportunities. In math we focused on Fact Families as well as related math facts. We noticed that they contained the same three numbers, just in a different order.
            In writing we learned about common nouns as well as proper nouns. We looked for them in our writing and in books. We made an anchor chart of the words we found! 
             In reading we read the story STELLALUNA. We used a double bubble map to compare birds and bats. We sequenced sentences to tell the order they happened in the story. We also talked about the main character’s feelings and wrote about them.
              In science we began our new unit on changing and combining matter. This week we learned that changes occur when we add heat or take heat away. We discovered that a piece of paper’s physical properties changed when it got wet. Ask your child what happened to our milk when we heated it, added lemon juice and vinegar to it. The physical properties changed. It went from a liquid to a solid.
      In social studies we learned about Columbus Day, watched a Brain Pop Jr., took the on line quiz to assess what we learned and drew a map of Columbus’ journey. We also worked on our leadership notebook. Sadly we had to say goodbye to one of our classmates, Faith. She has been a very special part of our class and an excellent leader. I wish her much luck on her new adventure. She will forever be in my heart, like all the students I have the privilege of teaching.
  • Check out our blog to see pictures and videos of the nerds program. I’ll post them on Saturday. Some of your children were picked to go up front! :)
  • Progress reports went home today. Please return the signed copy.
  • Please send in a bag of candy for the Fall Festival.
  • Please send in $3.00 so that we can buy items to make the second grade baskets for the silent auction.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment