About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Week 33

Dear Parents,
         This week in math we continued recording data in charts and made pictographs and bar graphs. We learned that we could compare two bars on a graph and write statements about what we noticed. We realized if the numbers were high, we could count by twos, fives or tens so that we would not have to draw so many pictures on our pictographs. We learned how to make predictions by reading the information on our graphs. 
          In writing we began a research paper on seals. We researched in small groups, learned how to rewrite information in our own words, learned to combine two sentences with conjunction as well as reread our paper for revising and editing.
          In reading we learned how to look for important information. We learned that interesting information and important information are different. Important information covers the facts that tell the main information about the topic. Interesting information is an idea that is fun to know, but is not important.
          In science we have continued to learn , watch videos , watch Brain Pop Jr.s, and read Scholastic News about insects and their life cycles. We have learned important information as well as interesting facts about them.
          In social studies we learned about Mexico as well as their holiday, Cinco De Mayo. We filled out a booklet and learned new vocabulary and a few map skills. The rest of the week we worked on writing and decorating our Mother’s Day cards. There will also be a handmade gift for you  made in the art room. I hope you all enjoy your special day!
          Next week is STAAR testing so the campus will be closed to visitors all week. Thank you again to the mothers who volunteered to copy the poem on our pillow cases. A big thank you also to all of you who donated an extra pillow case or two so that everyone could have one. If you could send the pillow cases back by Monday, I will begin having the children put their handprints on them.
         Thank you so much for all the kind words, gifts, sweets, and flowers given this week. The PTA also spoiled us each day! Past students even came and gave me hugs. I felt very appreciated and loved all week. I am so blessed to be able to spend my days teaching and guiding your children. Each day is a new adventure; there are some bumpy roads along the way, it may not be easy, but I work hard all year to get your children to their next destination! We are almost there! Thank you for supporting us each step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment