About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Week 36

Dear Parents,
    This week was a culmination of all our learning in math from the beginning of the year to now. We reviewed our math skills, took a practice test for a grade, then corrected any errors. We then took our district CBA on Wednesday. Your child’s score will be reported on his/her report card. 
     In Writing we finished up our animal reports and presented them. These reports were done very independently as the children used a R.A.N. Chart and then took notes to place on their charts. They then wrote a rough draft which was self edited, then wrote their final copy. I will be sending home the report and their poetry books on Monday. These are keepsakes from second grade. I just want to make sure they do not get lost in the end of the year flurry of papers going home!
      In Reading we continued two days of our camping activities, then We read some good literature and wrote responses. On Friday we had watermelon Day where we completed a skills packet and ate some watermelon after reading Watermelon Day.
         In science we began talking about food chains and food webs. We each had a card with a name of an organism on it. We created a food web one by one as we read our cards. We saw how we needed to connect the animals to show where the energy was flowing. We learned that any food chain begins with the sun. We are learning that if something happens to one animal in a food chain, then the whole chain is disrupted. We will continue learning more about this next week.
       In social studies we continue to learn about economics. We’ve been practicing our vocabulary with a matching game and have been given $100 to spend on wants and needs. We are also supposed to set aside some to save. I can’t wait to see those budgets!

No comments:

Post a Comment