About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Week 23

Dear Parents,
        This week in math we moved to solving three digit addition and subtraction problems. We are understanding why we trade because of all the hands on activities we’ve been doing with place value blocks. I can write my own word problems to represent a number sentence.
         In reading we listened to a story about kindness. We made a kindness pledge. We are looking for acts of kindness to add hearts to our second grade Kindness Tree. We read a story about Helen Keller. We learned to synthesize the important ideas to get the main idea of the story. We all agreed that Helen Keller was an amazing person! Her message is that we all have great potential. Believe in yourself, never give up and you can achieve your dreams. In social studies we continued learning our map skills and learned about what it means when the groundhog does not see his shadow! We are looking forward to an early Spring! We had a fun Groundhog Day snack with a small chocolate donut with a Teddy Graham peaking out of the hole in the middle.
         In language we learned about primary and secondary resources. We researched Helen Keller using several books and websites to learn more about her. We are learning how to take the important information, organize it into a report which follows the person’s timeline, create interesting sentences, and add transition words. We are writing a group report about this famous person. Next, we will be writing reports individually or with a partner.
         In science we are continuing to learn about objects in the sky. We are learning that the sun and moon appear to change in the sky and the reason behind those changes. We are talking, reading and writing about all we have learned. We loved playing draw me to learn our vocabulary!
Join us for the Scholastic Groovy Book Fair at CRE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment