About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, September 24, 2021

Week 8

 Dear Parents,

             Your children are beginning to be more independent as learners, know what to be working on during guided reading independently while I meet with reading groups, and learning what quality second grade work needs to be to be turned in. This is all a process, but this group is really making progress. We even got a complement from Mrs. Martinez, our LEAP teacher who visits our room! 

              In math we began a unit on solving two digit addition problems with and without regrouping. We modeled the problems with base ten blocks and then solved them in out vertical boxes. We ALWAYS start adding or subtracting in the ones! We ended our week by taking our assessment. 😊

               In writing we began a class narrative about the first day of school. We started it off by doing a prewriting activity where we drew the beginning, middle and end of our day. We then talked about our pictures. We drafted a beginning, middle and end. Next we will publish our class paper. I can’t wait until next week when we each pick our own topic and take our narrative through the writing process.

               In reading we read the story The Big Red Lollipop. We learned about a character’s point of view, the difference between first person and third person point of views. We took a comprehension check on this story as well. In social studies we continued our research on American Symbols during guided reading as independent work.

                In science we finished our unit about the properties of matter and began our next unit where we will change the properties of matter. Ask your child what happened to the marshmallow and soap when we added heat with a microwave. Science can be so much fun!

                I was honored today by Scheels as their first LISD Teacher of the Month. The news will be tweeted out next Tuesday. They brought a gift for me and a water bottle for each of my students. This water bottle went home today in your child’s backpack. They also gave them a special sticker. I am very grateful for Scheels choosing me and for giving my class their very own Scheels water bottle!

               Important papers went home today in your child’s Coyote Folder: an istation report for Sept., Their 6 weeks progress report and a letter explaining your child’s istation score ( if he/she is being monitored or progressing as expected). Please look for this information and let me know if you have any questions.

                Our Pumpkin Project did not make it into our Friday Folder today. My apologies. I will send it home on Monday. If you would like next weekend to complete it, ours can be due on Monday the 4th instead of Friday the first.

 

     *PE REMINDER:

*Coach Ray asks that parents please send students in tennis shoes on PE days and shorts under skirts/dresses.

PE Website Here you can see our specials rotation schedule.

 

Hello CRE families:

 

We had a successful Book Fair this week!  Thank you for all of your support!  I especially wanted to thank all of the families that donated books to our wonderful teachers!  Your gift is truly appreciated!  If your child did not find a book during the book fair you can still shop online!  Our store will remain open until tomorrow at midnight.  Here is the link to find it:  https://bit.ly/CREbookfair


No comments:

Post a Comment