About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Week 30

Dear Parents,
            This week is the end of the first three week period of our last nine weeks. You may be noticing your child’s grade are a little lower than in the past. Remember, I am now grading the papers as they are when turned in to me. The children are reminded to check directions and for questions left unanswered. This is a chance for them to grow in their independence which they will need for third grade. 
           We are learning about environments and how they affect living things in science. We had an opportunity this week to watch a video about sea turtles and send a video response to the actress who created the video (she is a former student of mine who I taught years ago when she was in first grade). Jaclyn responded to your children’s questions in another short video. The children were thrilled as she called them by name. She is posting her videos on YouTube :just search Friends With Fins. A few of my students did this on their own and subscribed to her. She says that it takes a full day to write and produce her videos. They are all very educational and about conservation and ocean life. She has also authored two children’s books on the subject. She became interested in fish when she was in first grade because I had a fish tank in my room. A teacher never knows how much he/ she does to impacts students'  futures. 

          We are beginning geometry in math. We are writing creative pieces that have varied sentence lengths, that paint a picture with words, and that have sentences that are begun in different ways.In Language we have focused on possessive nouns as well as contractions. Reading with questioning strategies really has had us engaged in books this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment