About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, October 21, 2016

Week 9

Dear parents,
                I can’t believe we finished our first nine weeks of school! Our classroom is up and running and the students know what is expected of them. In math this week we were working on story problems, both addition and subtraction. We used our part/part/whole to decide what kind of problem we were solving. Them we set up the problem making sure that we lined up our tens and ones. We solved our problems many different ways. We even began borrowing from and carrying to the tens place. 
                 In language we were learning the four different kinds of sentences. We are great at writing statements, questions, exclamations and commands! In reading we read the story The Ugly Vegetables. The children learned about details helping us form a conclusion. They saw pictures of the Chinese vegetables. They were interested to see how they looked as compared to how the author described them.
                 In science we talked about changing matter. We changed a flat piece of paper into an airplane and even got to watch it fly! We used materials to build a structure that would hold a cotton ball as high off our desks as we could manage. The winning group had it 51 cm off their desk. We learned that some materials were better to build with than others. E cannot wait until our next challenge!
                In Social studies we worked all week on planning our communities. We brought in materials to build with and talked about which would be best and fit on our boards. Then Thursday was building day! Our communities turned out great! I would love to put all the pictures on our classroom blog, but I still have not been given permission from some parents to post pictures. I will take pictures of projects and the members who I know who can be posted. If your child is missing, please e- mail me to give me permission to post your child’s photo on our blog. These will be posted next week.

                Part 2 of our Pumpkin Project was due today. Four of my students did not turn theirs in to me. Please check to see if it was your child and help him/her turn in his/her story map on Monday. Those that did turn it in, got it checked and given back to help them complete part 3. A few children were asked to revise their story map to retell the story giving a beginning, a middle, and an end. Part 3 went home in today’s coyote folder. There is a title sheet, the written report page ( if there were no corrections, your child copies his/her story map onto the new sheet, leaving the rectangle at the top empty. Next Friday I will take a picture of each child with his/her finished pumpkin and book to be put in this spot! Please remember to send the actual book with the project. I can’t wait to see all the book character pumpkins next Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment