About Me

My photo
Carrollton, Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog! My name is Beth Carpenter! I am a 2nd grade teacher at Coyote Ridge Elementary. I majored in Early Childhood Education and have taught for 22 years. I have taught grades K- 3 which gives me a unique ability to know where my second graders fit within those grades. Teaching is more than a profession to me, it is a calling. I love to help light the fire of curiosity to help all my students become lifelong learners!

Schedule

Math 8:00-9:30 Brain Break 9:30-9:40 Enrichment 9:40-10:30 Guided Reading 10:30-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00 Writer's Workshop 12:00- 1:00 Recess 1:00-1:30 Reading/Social Studies 1:30-2:00 Science 2:00-2:50 Pack/Stack/Dismiss 2:50-3:00

Friday, April 7, 2017

Week 29

Dear parents,
         This week we began working on fractions. This is a hard concept for second graders. We had some misconceptions at first, but I believe they are beginning to grasp the concept and the vocabulary. In writing we have been working on one of our six traits, ideas. We have been writing a piece all week, going back to revise by making the content clear and using good, descriptive details. In reading we have been learning about how we can combine our new learning with our schema (background knowledge). I am pleased to say that they have been excited to learn new information and discuss it so that that information becomes a part of their schema. They have been challenged to do this in all subject areas. In science we finished up our unit on the water cycle and will begin a new unit on Monday. In social studies we have continued to work on map skills, and created our own landform continent. We are still going strong and learning quite a bit of new information to add to our schema. It gets more difficult for the children to focus as the weather gets warmer. Please help your child stay on track with their homework and work at school. I appreciate your support!

Help is needed. I am asking for four parents to volunteer their time at home to get ready for our pillow case project. We hope to collect all pillow cases by next Thursday. That way, with four parent volunteers, each parent would trace a poem onto 4-5 pillow cases with a sharpie marker. I send home a template taped to a piece of cardboard with the pillow cases. The parent slides it inside the pillow case. You will be able to see the letters through the fabric. You trace it centered on one side of the pillow case. Later at school every child will paint their hand 19 times and place a handprint on every pillow case. That will be my job, unless another volunteer would like to come to school to help. It will be done over two days as the first side must dry completely before the second side can be done. Please let me know if you can help.

Field Day is next Thursday Here are the teams and the color of shirt that needs to be worn that day. Pink Team (Dylan,Karter, Olivia, Jeremiah, and Yuriana)

Green Team (Wafa, Christian, Kenneth, Marley, and Sophia, Blue Team (Aleeza, Joshua, Ainsley, Ayaan, and Athulya) Orange Team ( Braxton, Jaiden, Ta’Leigha, and Layla

No comments:

Post a Comment